    SubjectRe: Binary Drivers
    Dear Linux Kernel ML,

    I am writing as a Linux-only user of over 2 years to express my concern with
    the recent proposal to block out closed source modules from the kernel.

    While, I understand and share your sentiments over open source software and
    drivers. I fear however, that trying to steamroll the industry into
    developing open source drivers by banning closed source drivers is going to
    have a completely different result. They will simply abandon Linux support
    for some of their products altogether.

    Take the high-end graphic cards that are prevalent in most of today's
    home/SOHO hardware- desktops and laptops. Would I be wrong in saying that the
    Linux market share in this market is no more than 5%?
    These companies have already demonstrated that the support they provide is
    proportional to the market share.

    The open source driver development is promising but it has been mentioned
    several times that the project is undermanned and the vendors are not
    forthcoming with the necessary information.
    My hardware as it stands today is still not working with the open-source
    drivers. Perhaps this is the case of PEBCAK and not the open-source drivers
    per se but with a 1-4 hour turnaround to test a new version of the r300
    driver it is not a small effort on my part. Still, I'm eagerly awaiting the
    day that I'll be able to use an open-source driver that is on par with the
    ati one.

    The bottom line is that the proposed 1st Jan 2008 dead line is unlikely to
    make any corporations tremble. It is likely to be the day when I will be no
    longer able to run the latest version of the kernel.

    Finally, I'd like to thank you for reading my email and on your work on the
    fantastic work and community that Linux is.
    I hope you will take this user and others like me under consideration when
    making the final decision on whether or not to include the proposed patch and
    whether to undertake work on code that will prevent binary drivers from

    Warmest regards,

    Marek Wawrzyczny

      Last update: 2006-12-16 10:27    [W:0.022 / U:4.680 seconds]