    SubjectRe: 2.6.18 mmap hangs unrelated apps
    On 2006/12/15 at 14:42:08 Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote
    > On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:50:30 -0600
    > Michal Sabala <lkml@saahbs.net> wrote:

    > > > Have you tried an 'echo t >/proc/sysrq-trigger' on a client with one of
    > > > these hanging processes? If so, what does the output look like?
    > >
    > > Hello Trond,
    > >
    > > Below is the sysrq trace output for XFree86 which entered the
    > > uninterruptible sleep state on the P4 machine with nfs /home. Please
    > > note that XFree86 does not have any files open in /home - as reported by
    > > `lsof`. Below, I also listed the output of vmstat.
    >
    > We'd need to see the trace of all D-state processes, please. Xfree86 might
    > just be a victim of a deadlock elsewhere. However there is a problem here..

    Hi Andrew,

    In most cases only a single process enters the D-state, this time it was
    XFree, but I've seen gimp, firefox, gconfd and bash. Once or twice I did
    see two or three processes ending up in uninterruptible sleep, but I
    suspect they entered this state at different test-mmap.c runs (I left
    test-mmap.c running in a bash loop and checked the system after a few
    hours).

    Would it be beneficial to keep running test-mmap.c on this machine until
    two or more processes end up in D-state? I can leave this machine
    running test-mmap.c over the weekend.

    Please advise,

    Sincerely,

    Michal