SubjectRe: kref refcnt and false positives
Andrew Morton a écrit :
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:12:46 -0800
> Greg KH <gregkh@suse.de> wrote:
>
>>> Original comment seemed to indicate that this conditional thing was
>>> performance related. Is it really? If not, we should consider the below patch.
>> Yes, it's a performance gain and I don't see how this patch would change
>> the above warning.
>
> I suspect it's a false optimisation.
>
> int kref_put(struct kref *kref, void (*release)(struct kref *kref))
> {
> WARN_ON(release == NULL);
> WARN_ON(release == (void (*)(struct kref *))kfree);
>
> /*
> * if current count is one, we are the last user and can release object
> * right now, avoiding an atomic operation on 'refcount'
> */
> if ((atomic_read(&kref->refcount) == 1) ||
> (atomic_dec_and_test(&kref->refcount))) {
> release(kref);
> return 1;
> }
> return 0;
> }
>
> The only time we avoid the atomic_dec_and_test() is when the object is
> about to be freed. ie: once in its entire lifetime. And freeing the
> object is part of an expensive (and rare) operation anyway.
>
> otoh, we've gone and added a test-n-branch to the common case: those cases
> where the object will not be freed.

I agree this 'optimization' is not "good" (I was the guy who suggested it
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/30/4 )

After Eric Biederman message (http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/30/292) I remember
adding some stat counters and telling Greg to not put the patch in because
kref_put() was mostly called with refcount=1. But the patch did its way. I
*did* ask Greg to revert it, but cannot find this mail archived somewhere...

But I believe Venkatesh problem comes from its release() function : It is
supposed to free the object.
If not, it should properly setup it so that further uses are OK.

ie doing in release(kref)
atomic_set(&kref->count, 0);

Eric

  Last update: 2006-12-14 09:01    [W:0.030 / U:1.112 seconds]