SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.20-rc1
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
>> `hddtemp' has stopped working on 2.6.20-rc1:
>
> Hmm. Can you do the strace on a working kernel too? For example, is it
> that the 0x30d ioctl (which is HDIO_GET_IDENTITY) used to work? If it's a
> SATA device, and you _used_ to use the PATA drivers, some of the old
> IDE-only ioctl's simply don't work when used in native SATA
> configurations.
>
> [ Side note: I consider that to be a mis-feature, but it's not a new
> regression, it's always been that way: different block subsystems have
> had their own "private" ioctl spaces.
>
> We've been moving more and more towards a unified space, and we could
> probably make scsi_ioctl.c emulate at least _some_ of the HDIO_xxx calls
> too, and try to support all the block ioctl's on all block devices
> rather than have some that work only on some certain class of hardware.

FWIW, libata generally follows a "implement it, if enough people care
about it" policy for the old HDIO_xxx ioctls.

There are plenty of HDIO_xxx ioctl should that have died back in the
days when people using the 'hd' driver rather than the newfangled IDE
driver.

So this change sorta filters out a lot of those older ioctls.

hddtemp is open source and reasonably well known, so I would certainly
like to support it, if its reasonable. For ATA disks, obtaining the
temperature sometimes requires vendor-specific or firmware-specific
knowledge. hddtemp centralizes all that info in a database.

Jeff

  Last update: 2006-12-14 21:09    [W:0.079 / U:4.204 seconds]