    SubjectRe: data corruption with nvidia chipsets and IDE/SATA drives // memory hole mapping related bug?!
    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:

    >> Christoph, I will carefully re-read your entire posting and the
    >> included links on Monday and will also try the memory hole
    >> setting.
    >>
    > And did you get out anything new?

    As I already mentioned the kernel parameter "iommu=soft" fixes
    the data corruption for me. We saw no more data corruption
    during a test on 48 machines over the last week-end. Chris
    Wedgewood already confirmed that this setting fixed the data
    corruption for him, too.

    Of course, the big question "Why does the hardware iommu *not*
    work on those machines?" still remains.

    I have also tried setting "memory hole mapping" to "disabled"
    instead of "hardware" on some of the machines and this *seems*
    to work stable, too. However, I did only test it on about a
    dozen machines because this bios setting costs us 1 GB memory
    (and iommu=soft does not).

    BTW: Maybe I should also mention that other machines types
    (e.g. the HP xw9300 dual opteron workstations) which also use a
    NVIDIA chipset and Opterons never had this problem as far as I
    know.

    Best regards,
    Karsten

    --