SubjectRe: Mach-O binary format support and Darwin syscall personality [Was: uts banner changes]

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > Secondly, is there a preferred existing field into which I should
> > stick said flag or just stuff it somewhere?
>
> Yes, thread_info->flags.

Well, it may actually make sense to actually stick the whole "syscall
table pointer" in there, rather than a flag that says which pointer to
choose.

We already load the thread_info pointer because we need the flags for
syscall tracing, and since we have the thread_info pointer, it might be
easier to load the syscall table pointer right off there, rather than
currently load it off the TOC, which is really sad, since we already
brought in the thread_info into the cache, and usign the TOC is not just a
load, it's a load off a separate cacheline).

So on 64-bit ppc, it could actually speed things up to put the system call
table pointer into thread_info, and make it more flexible at the same
time, without any conditional flags.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.054 / U:0.072 seconds]