    SubjectRe: data corruption with nvidia chipsets and IDE/SATA drives // memory hole mapping related bug?!
    On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Karsten Weiss wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
    > > I found a severe bug mainly by fortune because it occurs very rarely.
    > > My test looks like the following: I have about 30GB of testing data on
    > This sounds very familiar! One of the Linux compute clusters I
    > administer at work is a 336 node system consisting of the
    > following components:
    > * 2x Dual-Core AMD Opteron 275
    > * Tyan S2891 mainboard
    > * Hitachi HDS728080PLA380 harddisk
    > * 4 GB RAM (some nodes have 8 GB) - intensively tested with
    > memtest86+
    > * SUSE 9.3 x86_64 (kernel - But I've also
    > e.g. tried the latest openSUSE 10.2 RC1+ kernel which
    > makes no difference.
    > We are running LS-Dyna on these machines and discovered a
    > testcase which shows a similar data corruption. So I can
    > confirm that the problem is for real an not a hardware defect
    > of a single machine!

    Last week we did some more testing with the following result:

    We could not reproduce the data corruption anymore if we boot the machines
    with the kernel parameter "iommu=soft" i.e. if we use software bounce
    buffering instead of the hw-iommu. (As mentioned before, booting with
    mem=2g works fine, too, because this disables the iommu altogether.)

    I.e. on these systems the data corruption only happens if the hw-iommu
    (PCI-GART) of the Opteron CPUs is in use.

    Christoph, Erik, Chris: I would appreciate if you would test and hopefully
    confirm this workaround, too.

    Best regards,