    SubjectRe: data corruption with nvidia chipsets and IDE/SATA drives // memory hole mapping related bug?!
    On Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 01:56:06AM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
    > The issue was basically the following:
    > I found a severe bug mainly by fortune because it occurs very rarely.
    > My test looks like the following: I have about 30GB of testing data on
    > my harddisk,... I repeat verifying sha512 sums on these files and check
    > if errors occur.
    > One test pass verifies the 30GB 50 times,... about one to four
    > differences are found in each pass.

    Doh! I have a Tyan S2895 in my system, and I've been pulling my
    hair out trying to track down the cause of a similar somewhat
    rare failure for the pre-computer sha1 of a block of data to
    actually match the calculated sha1. I'd been hunting in vain the
    past few days trying to find a cause -- looking for buffer
    overflows, non thread safe code, or similar usual suspects.

    It is a relief to see I am not alone!

    -Erik

    --
    Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/