    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] parisc: "extern inline" -> "static inline" (fwd)
    On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 12:48:11PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > "extern inline" generates a warning with -Wmissing-prototypes and I'm
    > currently working on getting the kernel cleaned up for adding this to
    > the CFLAGS since it will help us to avoid a nasty class of runtime
    > errors.

    John David Anglin is the hppa/parisc gcc maintainer and has
    commented on inline variants last year:

    This makes me think -Wmissing-prototypes is reporting the wrong warning.
    ie there is a prototype but no function and no label.
    Can you check with gcc folks to see if this is a gcc bug?

    The parisc point intentionally switched to "extern inline" at one
    point and unless what jda wrote is now incorrect, I'm not inclined
    to change it.

    > If there are places that really need a forced inline, __always_inline
    > would be the correct solution.

    Yes, all the functions marked "extern inline" are expected to get
    essentially the same treatment as "always_inline".

      Last update: 2006-12-01 17:47    [W:0.020 / U:177.604 seconds]