SubjectRe: util-linux: orphan
Karel Zak wrote:

> I've originally thought about util-linux upstream fork, but as
> usually an fork is bad step. So.. I'd like to start some discussion
> before this step. Maybe Adrian will be realistic and he will leave
> the project and invest all his time to kernel only.

Actually, forking is not really that bad of an idea. When I took over
tftp, for example, I just did it and called it tftp-hpa. It didn't take
very long before I got a message from the netkit maintainer asking if I
was planning to continue, and if so if he could drop tftp from netkit.

A similar thing happened when Jeremy (and now Ian) took over autofs from me.

Forking gets your new maintainership proven *before* you end up taking
over. On the other hand, magicfilter effectively died when I handed it
over to someone who didn't do a good job with it.

-hpa

  Last update: 2006-11-09 23:49    [W:0.123 / U:1.244 seconds]