SubjectRE: could not find filesystem /dev/root
Date
Hello,

> The order in which disks are discovered, is basically
> (1) what module (let's take the "core kernel" as a module
> too) is loaded first (core kernel always comes first)
> (2) running order of the __init functions in a specific module;
> running order mostly defined by linking order

Yes... What is painful is that moving from a configuration with modules
to a configuration without modules, this can change.

> >and resulted in drives changing devices :
> >FC5 Vanilla
> >/dev/sda <---> /dev/sdb
> >/dev/sdb <---> /dev/sdc
> >/dev/sdc <---> /dev/sda

> If you don't want udev, make an initramfs, build your disk driver as
> modules, and load them in the order you want your disks numbered.
>
> udev or initramfs, you ought to choose at least one.

Nope, you don't. I'm now using a kernel without modules for what's disk
related, and unless people (read kernel developpers) change something
in the init order, I'm now with a stable environment, without udev or
initramfs.

Paul

  Last update: 2006-11-07 10:57    [W:0.098 / U:0.340 seconds]