    SubjectRE: could not find filesystem /dev/root

    > > I ran into the same problem when using an FC-6 .config file
    > compiling 2.6.19-rc4. In my case, the problem was that the
    > configuration options for Serial ATA have changed since
    > 2.6.18 (which the FC-6 config is based on). I had to
    > manually go in to the config (with make menuconfig) and turn
    > on the SATA device that I have. What kind of SATA controller
    > do you have, and what does your .config look like?

    I also had nearly the same problem when moving from FC5 kernel to a
    stock vanilla kernel : FC5 is heavily relying on modules, and my vanilla
    kernel was compiled with everything built-in and no modules.
    This is definitely changing the order in which drivers and disks are
    and resulted in drives changing devices :
    FC5 Vanilla
    /dev/sda <---> /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb <---> /dev/sdc
    /dev/sdc <---> /dev/sda

    This is a real pain, though people will tell you that udev is supposed
    to take care of this... My problem was just that I _don't_ want udev
    on my machine...

    So, check also this point...

      Last update: 2006-11-07 08:07    [W:0.019 / U:8.324 seconds]