SubjectRE: could not find filesystem /dev/root
Date
Hello,

> > I ran into the same problem when using an FC-6 .config file
> compiling 2.6.19-rc4. In my case, the problem was that the
> configuration options for Serial ATA have changed since
> 2.6.18 (which the FC-6 config is based on). I had to
> manually go in to the config (with make menuconfig) and turn
> on the SATA device that I have. What kind of SATA controller
> do you have, and what does your .config look like?

I also had nearly the same problem when moving from FC5 kernel to a
stock vanilla kernel : FC5 is heavily relying on modules, and my vanilla
kernel was compiled with everything built-in and no modules.
This is definitely changing the order in which drivers and disks are
discovered
and resulted in drives changing devices :
FC5 Vanilla
/dev/sda <---> /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb <---> /dev/sdc
/dev/sdc <---> /dev/sda

This is a real pain, though people will tell you that udev is supposed
to take care of this... My problem was just that I _don't_ want udev
on my machine...

So, check also this point...

Regards,
Paul