SubjectRe: is there any Hard-disk shock-protection for 2.6.18 and above?
On 11/30/06, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> > >Does hdaps work for you, btw? It gave all zeros on my x60, iirc.
> >
> > Yes, vanilla hdaps is broken. It blindly issues commands to the
> > embedded controller without following the protocol or checking the
> > status. The patched version in the tp_smapi package fixes it.
>
> Is there a way to extract minimal patch? ...the kind that is trivial
> enough so that akpm does accepts it...?

I can't think of any such trivial fix. My submitted code includes a
whole new driver, thinkpad_ec, just to get the (fully documented!) EC
protocl right. You could strip a few code paths which hdaps doesn't
invoke, but it's hard to see how you can get away with much less
except by making unwarranted assumptions about the hardware and its
timing characteristics.

Shem

  Last update: 2006-11-30 18:51    [W:0.043 / U:0.492 seconds]