SubjectRe: Debugging I/O errors further?
Date
>> Sorry for stressing this, but is there a way I can debug this
>> further? it's a seagate drive connected to a sata_sil controller.
>> I only get ext3 errors, and it fails after a while whatever I do
>
> Only idea I have is to unmount the drive ( or remount r/o ) and
> repeatedly md5sum the block device and see if it ever fails to
> correctly read the data, and if you get any errors in your syslog.
> If you get no error messages in your syslog and md5sum completes
> without error but does not get the same hash each time, then there
> is definitely something very fubar with the hardware or deep in the
> kernel.

md5sum has now been running in a loop for some 22 hours and completed
11 sums of the drive (md5summing 400 gigs takes a little while). the
md5sum is identical for each test, and the syslog has no error
indications. Then, starting harddisk stresstest, I get this error
again after about an hour testing:

Nov 3 11:33:17 ganske kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda1):
ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block =
1349004846, count = 1
Nov 3 11:33:20 ganske kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda1):
ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block =
1449605700, count = 1
Nov 3 11:33:23 ganske kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda1):
ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 629024587,
count = 1
Nov 3 11:33:24 ganske kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda1):
ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block =
1059741014, count = 1

So, error only occurs on filesystem usage, not with direct
blockdevice access.

Any ideas?

roy
--