SubjectRe: [patch] x86: unify/rewrite SMP TSC sync code
On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 00:16 -0800, Wink Saville wrote:
> > Generally user mode code should just be using gettimeofday. When the TSC
> > is usable as a sane time source, the kernel will use it. When it's not,
> > it will use something else like the HPET, ACPI PM Timer or (at last
> > resort) the PIT, in increasing degrees of slowness.
> >
> But gettimeofday is much too expensive compared to RDTSC.

it's the cost of a syscall (1000 cycles?) plus what it takes to get a
reasonable time estimate. Assuming your kernel has enough time support
AND your tsc is reasonably ok, it'll be using that. If it's NOT using
that then that's a pretty good sign that you can't also use it in

if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at)
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via

  Last update: 2006-11-26 09:27    [W:0.043 / U:4.052 seconds]