SubjectRe: Quadratic behavior of shrink_dcache_parent()
Date
On Monday, 20 November 2006 12:10, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> The shrink_dcache_parent() can take a very long time for deep
> directory trees: minutes for depth of 100,000, probably hours for
> depth of 1,000,000.
>
> The reason is that after dropping a leaf, it starts again from the
> root.

Oh, well. So that's the reason why the shrinking of memory in swsusp can
take so much time.

> Filesystems affected include FUSE, NFS, CIFS. Others I haven't
> checked. NFS and to a lesser extent CIFS don't seem to efficiently
> handle lookups within such a deep hierarchy, so they're sort of
> immune.
>
> But with FUSE it's pretty easy to DoS the system.
>
> Limiting the depth to some sane value could work around this problem,
> but that would mean having to traverse subtrees in rename().
>
> Any better ideas?

None, for now. It looks like I need to learn that code ...

Greetings,
Rafael

--
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
R. Buckminster Fuller