    SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] [RFC] Resource Management - Infrastructure choices
    >> I believe this can be done, but can't imagine how to use this...
    >
    > As I mentioned in my earlier mail, I thought openvz folks did want this
    > flexibility:
    >
    > http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/18/98
    >
    > Also:
    >
    > http://lwn.net/Articles/94573/
    >
    > But I am ok if we dont support this feature in the initial round of
    > development.

    Yes. Lets start with it - no separate groupings for a while.

    BTW I think that hierarchy is a good (and easier to make than)
    replacement for separate grouping. Say if I want two groups to
    have separate CPU shares and common kmemsize this is the same as
    if I want one group for kmemsize with two kids - one for X% of
    CPU share and the other for Y%. And this (hierarchy) provides
    more flexibility than "plain" although separate grouping.
    Moreover configfs can provide a clean interface for it. E.g.
    $ mkdir /configfs/beancounters/0
    $ mkdir /configfs/beancounters/0/1
    $ mkdir /confgifs/beancounters/0/2
    and each task_struct will have a single pointer - current
    container - but not 10 - for each controller.

    What do you think?

    > Having grouping for different resources could be a hairy to deal
    > with and could easily mess up applications (for ex: a process in a 80%

    That's it... One more thing against separate grouping.

    [snip]

    > For ex:
    >
    > # ls /proc/2906/task
    > 2906 2907 2908 2909
    >
    > 2906 is the main thread which created the remaining threads.
    >
    > This would lead to an ambiguity when user does something like below:
    >
    > echo 2906 > /some_res_file_system/some_new_group
    >
    > Is he intending to move just the main thread, 2906, to the new group or
    > all the threads? It could be either.
    >
    > This needs some more thought ...

    I agree with Paul Menage that having
    /configfs/beancounters/<id>/tasks and /.../threads is perfect.

      Last update: 2006-11-02 09:59    [W:4.103 / U:0.020 seconds]