SubjectRe: [RFCLUE3] flagging kernel interface changes
Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> I don't want to start an argument about "stable_api_nonsense" or
>> the wisdom of out-of-tree drivers. Just curious about the - why -
>> and whether it is indifference or antagonism toward drivers outside
>> the fold. Or ???
>

> Hi,
>
> in general the best approach has been to make the driver support the
> NEW interface, and then do some compat thing to fake the old one. The
> other way around is going to be MUCH more painful long term. So as
> general rule: always follow the latest API, and use a compat.h hack
> for older kernels inside your driver, but keep the normal code clean.
> It's not always easy, but keeping old API and faking it to the new
> one is only going to be really really painful; things will deviate
> more and more over time and at some point you'll have to jump anyway.

Good point. I actually try to do it that way. Should have said

#ifndef NEW_INTERFACE

> In addition quite a few api changes are done in a way that make this
> less painful than the other way around..

The other part of the question is why this irq_handler prototype change
in 2.6.19 isn't flagged to make things a little easier.

> however in general really there is pain to be out-of-tree; and to
> some degree that's an incentive to merge back :)

No argument, but I don't have the stamina to try to get my 10+ year
old code out of the public domain and into the main line :)

Many thanks for your reply,
Bill