    SubjectRe: pagefault in generic_file_buffered_write() causing deadlock
    On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:29:57AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Oh well. If it's a deadlock (this is not clear from your description) then
    > please gather backtraces of all affected tasks.
    >
    > There is an ab/ba deadlock with journal_start() and lock_page(), iirc.
    > Chris and I had a look at that a while back and collapsed in exhaustion -
    > it isn't pretty.

    This should be the page fault/journal lock inversion stuff Nick was
    working on. His patchset had a pretty good description of the problems,
    Badari can also dig through the novell/ltc bugzillas for vmmstress.
    Should be LTC9358.

    Hopefully Nick's patches will address all of this. sles9 had a partial
    solution for the mmap deadlock, I think it was to dirty the inode at a
    later time. For some reason, I thought this workload was passing in
    later kernels...

    -chris

      Last update: 2006-11-15 21:43    [W:0.034 / U:59.768 seconds]