    SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: SFLC helps developers assess ar5k (enabling free Atheros HAL)
    On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 14:21 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 07:42:14PM +0100, Michael Buesch wrote:
    >
    > > Now that it seems to be ok to use these openbsd sources, should I port
    > > them to my driver framework?
    > > I looked over the ar5k code and, well, I don't like it. ;)
    > > I don't really like having a HAL. I'd rather prefer a "real" driver
    > > without that HAL obfuscation.
    >
    > I don't think anyone likes the HAL-based architecture. I don't think
    > we will accept a HAL-based driver into the upstream kernel.
    >
    > The point is that the ar5k is now safe to be used as a reference and
    > source of information (and code, as appropriate) without copyright FUD.
    > Distilling that information into a proper Linux driver is work that
    > remains to be done.

    there have been several efforts on this before; is it worth revitalizing
    one of them?

    Also I suspect that if you merge a provisional driver early, lots of
    folks will switch to it and start beating on it and fixing the style etc
    issues...

    --
    if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
    Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org