    SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: SFLC helps developers assess ar5k (enabling free Atheros HAL)
    On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 14:21 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 07:42:14PM +0100, Michael Buesch wrote:
    > > Now that it seems to be ok to use these openbsd sources, should I port
    > > them to my driver framework?
    > > I looked over the ar5k code and, well, I don't like it. ;)
    > > I don't really like having a HAL. I'd rather prefer a "real" driver
    > > without that HAL obfuscation.
    > I don't think anyone likes the HAL-based architecture. I don't think
    > we will accept a HAL-based driver into the upstream kernel.
    > The point is that the ar5k is now safe to be used as a reference and
    > source of information (and code, as appropriate) without copyright FUD.
    > Distilling that information into a proper Linux driver is work that
    > remains to be done.

    there have been several efforts on this before; is it worth revitalizing
    one of them?

    Also I suspect that if you merge a provisional driver early, lots of
    folks will switch to it and start beating on it and fixing the style etc

    if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at)
    Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via

      Last update: 2006-11-15 20:29    [W:0.020 / U:4.080 seconds]