SubjectRe: CONFIG_NO_HZ: missed ticks, stall (keyb IRQ required) [2.6.18-rc4-mm1]
Date
On Tuesday 07 November 2006 03:07, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > So given that C3 on every known system that has shipped to date breaks
> > the LAPIC timer (and apparently this applies to C2 on these AMD
> > boxes), dynticks needs a solid story for co-existing with C3.
>
> check out 2.6.19-rc4-mm2: it detects this breakage and works it around
> by using the PIT as a clock-events source. That did the trick on my
> laptop which has this problem too. I agree with you that degrading the
> powersaving mode is not an option.
>
> we've got a question about HPET: it seems all recent hardware has it,
> but the BIOS rarely mentions it, so the Linux driver does not enable
> HPET. Is there any chance to enable HPET (in the chipset?) - this would
> probably be a higher-quality clock-events source than the PIT.

If Windows enumerates and uses the HPET on a box, then Linux
should be able to use the HPET on that box too.

I belive that Venki has looked at some of the HPET enumeration issues,
and maybe he has some suggestions. Is there an example system
on-hand where we know Windows works and Linux does not?

-Len

  Last update: 2006-11-14 07:35    [W:0.182 / U:0.296 seconds]