SubjectRe: [RFC] Pushing device/driver binding decisions to userspace
On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 13:51 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 08:58 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Now; there is a second issue. If the choice for one or the other is
> > consistent, we should consider fixing the kernel drivers to just not
> > advertise the b0rked one.. (this assumes that both drivers are in the
> > kernel and both are open source)
> Unfortunately it becomes political quickly. For example the old OSS
> i810_audio driver is still in the kernel even though the ALSA driver
> supports more hardware and provides more functionality because some
> people consider the ALSA driver bloated.

I doubt distros ship both though.... I thought all distros were
alsa-only by now..

also this is a case of "full overlap", which isn't a real problem (it's
just policy which module to load); the problem is when you NEED 2
modules to get full coverage and then they overlap..

if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at)
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via