    SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc4-mm1: noidlehz problems
    On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 13:23 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > First, it would be nice if we had someone listed as a maintainer of
    > noidlehz stuff...
    >
    > Then... I'm getting strange messages from noidlehz each time I
    > unplug/replug AC power (perhaps due to interrupt latency?).

    there probably is a different story going on.
    When you unplug/replug AC power, several bioses change the meaning of
    the software C-states in your system.
    (there is a mapping between software visible C states and the hardware
    C-states)

    In some (hardware) C-states, the local apic timer stops (as does the
    TSC), while in others it keeps running. If you change from AC to
    battery, the bios can change the meaning of a software C-state from one
    where local apic timer keeps going to one where it stops. This obviously
    upsets the hrtimers/tickless code since that uses local apic timer for
    event generation....

    --
    if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
    Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org