    SubjectRe: [patch 1/1] schedule removal of FUTEX_FD
    Rusty Russell a écrit :
    > On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 15:09 -0800, akpm@osdl.org wrote:
    >> From: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
    >>
    >> Apparently FUTEX_FD is unfixably racy and nothing uses it (or if it does, it
    >> shouldn't).
    >>
    >> Add a warning printk, give any remaining users six months to migrate off it.
    >
    > This makes sense. FUTEX_FD was for the NGPT project which did userspace
    > threading, and hence couldn't block. It was always kind of a hack
    > (although unfixably racy isn't quite right, it depends on usage).
    >
    > However, the existence of FUTEX_FD is what made Ingo complain that we
    > couldn't simply pin the futex page in memory, because now a process
    > could pin one page per fd. Removing it would seem to indicate that we
    > can return to a much simpler scheme of (1) pinning a page when someone
    > does futex_wait, and (2) simply comparing futexes by physical address.
    >
    > Now, I realize with some dismay that simplicity is no longer a futex
    > feature, but it might be worth considering?

    Hum... I am not sure playing MM games is good... really...

    This discussion reminds me I posted a patch some time ago that got no comments
    from the community.

    http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/9/26

    Eric

      Last update: 2006-11-01 11:23    [W:0.022 / U:33.908 seconds]