SubjectRe: Realtime Wiki - http://rt.wiki.kernel.org
On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 10:42:50PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 08:54:42PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > >Yep, that was part of the design. When I approached Peter Anvin
> > >and the other kernel.org maintainers during OLS about hosting the
> > >-rt wiki on kernel.org infrastructure, what we explicitly talked
> > >about was making it easy to set up other wiki's for multiple kernel
> > >projects,
> >
> > It would be nice to give the wikis wiki editable navigation menus,
> > like http://kernelnewbies.org/ and http://linux-mm.org/
> >

> Actually, you can edit the Navigation menu by editing
> Mediawiki:Sidebar magic page. There are other things that you can
> edit in the Mediawiki:* namespace that affect the Wiki's overall
> navigation.
>
> Only the Wiki sysops are allowed to edit the Mediawiki:* namespace,
> though, because of the fact that they affect the core behavior of the
> wiki, and because some of the Mediawiki:* pages use raw html, and so
> there are some cross-scripting security holes that could be a problem
> if you allowed random users to be able to edit them.
>
> > Too many of the wikis out there become horrendously hard to navigate
> > after a few years...
>
> Agreed, which is why you need to have wiki editors keeping track of
> whether the important pages are available either on the main page or
> within two clicks of the main page.

Here's an idea for the main navigation menu structure:

* Menu
** Software
** Documentation
** Tips & Tricks
** Tests & Benchmarks
** Projects

* More Information
** Mailinglists
** IRC
** Links

* Wiki
** mainpage|mainpage
** recentchanges-url|recentchanges
** randompage-url|randompage
** helppage|help
** http://www.kernel.org/faq/#donations|sitesupport

That should cover all the pages currently linked from the main page.

Robert
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686
Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-9