SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] error to be returned while suspended
Date
Am Freitag, 6. Oktober 2006 04:47 schrieb David Brownell:
> On Thursday 05 October 2006 2:25 pm, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>
> > - the issues of manual & automatic suspend and remote wakeup are orthogonal
> > - there should be a common API for all devices
>
> AFAIK there is no demonstrated need for an API to suspend
> individual devices. Of course there's the question of who
> would _use_ such a thing (some unspecified component, worth
> designing one first), but drivers can use internal runtime
> suspend mechanisms to be in low power modes and hide that
> fact from the rest of the system. That is, activate on
> demand, suspend when idle.

I doubt that a lot. Eg. Again, if I close the lid I may want my USB
network cards be suspended or not and that decision might change several
times a day. It's a policy decision in many cases. And I'd not be happy
with being required to down the interfaces to do so. Suspension should
be as transparent as possible.

Regards
Oliver

  Last update: 2006-10-06 09:07    [W:0.150 / U:4.356 seconds]