    SubjectRe: [RFC] PATCH to fix rescan_partitions to return errors properly - take 2
    Erik Mouw wrote:
    > On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 01:32:34PM -0700, Suzuki Kp wrote:
    >
    >>Btw, do you think it is a good idea to let the other partition checkers
    >>run, even if one of them has failed ?
    >

    > Yes, just let them run. Partition information doesn't need to be on the
    > very first sector of the drive. If the first sector is bad and the
    > partition table for your funky XYZ partition table format lives on the
    > tenth sector, then a checker that checks the first sector would fail
    > and prevent your checker from running.
    >
    > OTOH: having ten partition checkers check the same bad first sector
    > doesn't really speed up the partion check process (for that reason we
    > disable partition checking for drives we get for recovery). A way to
    > solve that would be to keep a list of bad sectors: if the first checker
    > finds a bad sector, it notes it down in the list so the next checker
    > wouldn't have to try to read that particular sector. Maybe that's too
    > much work to do in kernel and we'd better move the partition checking
    > to userland.
    >

    >>Right now, the check_partition runs the partition checkers in a
    >>sequential manner, until it finds a success or an error.
    >

    > I think it's best not to change the current behaviour and let all
    > partition checkers run, even if one of them failed due to device
    > errors. I wouldn't mind if the behaviour changed like you propose,
    > though.

    At present, the partition checkers doesn't run, if one of the preceeding
    checker has reported an error ! *But*, some of the checkers doesn't
    report the I/O error which they came across! So, this may let others
    run. Thats not we want, right. We would like them to return I/O errors,
    and and the check_partition should let other partition checkers continue.

    Comments ?

    Thanks,

    Suzuki

    > Erik

      Last update: 2006-10-06 19:47    [W:3.011 / U:0.056 seconds]