    SubjectRe: [RFC] The New and Improved Logdev (now with kprobes!)
    * Steven Rostedt (rostedt@goodmis.org) wrote:

    > > Please don't :) Defining a new event would be to say :
    > >
    > > I want to create an event named "schedchange", which belongs to the "kernel"
    > > subsystem. In its definition, I say that it will take two integers and a long,
    > > respectively names "prev_pid", "next_pid" and "state".
    > >
    > > We can think of various events for various subsystems, and even for modules. It
    > > becomes interesting to have dynamically loadable event definitions which gets
    > > loaded with kernel modules. The "description" of the events is saved in the
    > > trace, in a special low traffic channel (small buffers with a separate file).
    > >

    > But these events still need the marker in the source code right?

    Yes, but not necessarily. But it could also be a kernel module built
    on-the-fly by a generator like SystemTAP which defines new events.

    > That should definitely be a step. If I'm understanding this (which I may
    > not be), you can have a dynamic event added with also using dynamic
    > trace points like kprobes.

    Yes, we could use a kprobes based approach with only one data type (string is
    always a good example), but we could also define one specific event and its
    associates data types for each probes.

    > No prob, I should read the rest of the thread, and try to catch up more,
    > before posting more comments.

    No problem, constructive comments and ideas are always welcome.

    Mathieu

    OpenPGP public key: http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
    Key fingerprint: 8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68

      Last update: 2006-10-06 03:37    [W:3.216 / U:0.016 seconds]