    SubjectRe: forcedeth net driver: reverse mac address after pxe boot
    On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 05:19:20PM +0100, Alex Owen wrote:

    > The obvious fix for this is to try and read the MAC address from the
    > canonical location... ie where is the source of the address writen
    > into the controlers registers at power on? But do we know where that
    > may be?

    This seems like The Right Thing (TM) to me, but we need someone from
    NVidia(?) to provide that information. Ayaz?

    > The other solution would be unconditionally reset the controler to
    > it's power on state then use the current logic? can we reset the
    > controller via software?

    This seems like a plausible alternative.

    The MAC address validation schemes suggested by others would probably
    "work", but they would be a bit fragile. For example, every new vendor
    of forcedeth hardware would have a new OUI to be added to the list.

    John W. Linville

      Last update: 2006-10-05 16:49    [W:0.024 / U:4.200 seconds]