SubjectRe: wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 03:26:09PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> The very fact that this turned into a discussion is a sign that the ABI
> breakage wasn't handled well enough. Usually, when we do something, nobody
> ever even notices.

There was the grand total of *ONE* user who was personally
impacted by the userspace API change (the two other, one was hit by a
bug, now fixed, one was hit because of kernel API change + external
driver). And I immediately proposed to postpone the change to a later
The people who contributed most to this tread were had not
experienced any breakage. I don't know what conclusion to reach from
that, and I don't understand why it took such proportions.

Guessing the right time to deprecate an old API can be a trial
and error process. So, we just have to wait for the release of FC6...

  Last update: 2006-10-05 02:31    [W:0.133 / U:2.652 seconds]