    SubjectRe: wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing
    From
    On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 03:26:09PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > The very fact that this turned into a discussion is a sign that the ABI
    > breakage wasn't handled well enough. Usually, when we do something, nobody
    > ever even notices.

    There was the grand total of *ONE* user who was personally
    impacted by the userspace API change (the two other, one was hit by a
    bug, now fixed, one was hit because of kernel API change + external
    driver). And I immediately proposed to postpone the change to a later
    time.
    The people who contributed most to this tread were had not
    experienced any breakage. I don't know what conclusion to reach from
    that, and I don't understand why it took such proportions.

    Guessing the right time to deprecate an old API can be a trial
    and error process. So, we just have to wait for the release of FC6...

    Jean

      Last update: 2006-10-05 02:31    [W:0.050 / U:32.048 seconds]