    SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] [RFC] Resource Management - Infrastructure choices
    Paul M wrote:
    > The cpusets code which this was based on simply locked the task list,
    > and traversed it to find threads in the cpuset of interest; you could
    > do the same thing in any other resource controller.

    I get away with this in the cpuset code because:
    1) I have the cpuset pointer directly in 'task_struct', so don't
    have to chase down anything, for each task, while scanning the
    task list. I just have to ask, for each task, if its cpuset
    pointer points to the cpuset of interest.
    2) I don't care if I get an inconsistent answer, so I don't have
    to lock each task, nor do I even lockout the rest of the cpuset
    code. All I know, at the end of the scan, is that each task that
    I claim is attached to the cpuset in question was attached to it at
    some point during my scan, not necessarilly all at the same time.
    3) It's not a flaming disaster if the kmalloc() of enough memory
    to hold all the pids I collect in a single array fails. That
    just means that some hapless users open for read of a cpuset
    'tasks' file failed, -ENOMEM. Oh well ...

    If someone is actually trying to manage system resources accurately,
    they probably can't get away being as fast and loose as this.

    --
    I won't rest till it's the best ...
    Programmer, Linux Scalability