    SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc3: known unfixed regressions (v3)

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Jun'ichi Nomura wrote:

    > The code is related to bd_claim_by_disk which is called when
    > device-mapper or md tries to mark the underlying devices
    > for exclusive use and creates symlinks from/to the devices
    > in sysfs. The patch added error handlings which weren't in
    > the original code.

    Actually, looking closer at the code, the patch seems to add _incorrect_
    error handling.

    For example, look at bd_claim_by_kobject(): if the "bd_claim()" inside of
    it succeeds, we used to always return success. Now, we don't necessarily
    do that: we may have done a _successful_ "bd_claim()" call, but then we
    return an error because something else failed, and now we're returning
    with from bd_claim_by_kobject() with the bd_claim() done, but with an
    error return (so the caller will _not_ call "bd_release()", and the
    block_device will forever stay exclusive).

    No?

    Now, exactly why acpi stops working as a result, I don't know, but maybe
    something else tries to get exclusive access to a swap partition, for
    example, and now fails, causing some acpi sequence to not be set up?
    Dunno.

    So I suspect it should be reverted, but maybe somebody can see exactly
    what goes wrong here.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:4.137 / U:0.012 seconds]