SubjectRe: PnP Bios activation of parallel port prior to request_region
Date
On 2006-10-26, Darren Hart <dvhltc@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> While working with a very simple demo parallel port interrupt driver, I found
> that request_region() will successfully return, regardless of whether or not
> the pnp calls have been made to activite the parallel port on a pnp system.
>
> The driver worked by just calling request_region() on another system, but on
> my laptop it wouldn't work unless I made the pnp activation calls before
> hand. The confusion came because the io range got assigned to my module,
> showed up in /proc/ioports, etc. So it appeared to be properly configured,
> but all the inb() calls returned 0xff.
>
> I know have something working, but just wanted to ask if it is considered
"now"?
> correct behavior for request_region() to succeed on an io range pertaining to
> a device that needs to be initialized by the pnp system and hasn't been.

I know that legacy parallel port must work regadless of any parport
modules, using /dev/port and BIOS setup for EPP/ECP etc.

If you really want to be answered, try to address message (or cc) to
e-mails mentioned in
- `linux/MAINTAINERS.*PARALLEL PORT*'
- `linux/drivers/parport/parport_pc.c'
____

  Last update: 2006-10-27 23:45    [W:0.068 / U:0.844 seconds]