SubjectRe: dealing with excessive includes

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > We have tons of issues that depend on config variables and architecture
> > details.
>
> Indeed, so the config variables and architecture details should be handled in
> the include files, not in the (multiple) users of those include files.

The point is - _verifying_ that is actually hard.

If some inline function depends on a particular header, you'll have a hard
time checking for that if there's an #ifdef around it. Which is not
uncommon, we have things like:

#ifdef CONFIG_PROCFS
.. number of inline functions ..
#else
#define function1(a,b,c) do { } while (0)
#endif

so I'm just saying that "just compile it" is _not_ a way of verifying that
the header file is complete - because it may well be complete for the
particular config you're testing, but not for some other.

So this is a hard problem. If it was easy, we'd not _have_ the problem in
the first place.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:1.255 / U:0.152 seconds]