    SubjectRe: Spam, bogofilter, etc
    Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:

    [...]

    > If you want a yes/no kind of thing, do it on real hard issues, like not
    > accepting email from machines that aren't registered MX gateways. Sure,
    > that will mean that people who just set up their local sendmail thing and
    > connect directly to port 25 will just not be able to email, but let's face
    > it, that's why we have ISP's and DNS in the first place.

    Larger sites have ingoing (MX) machines and outgoing (no MX) ones... this
    is useless. And the whole SPF fiasco shows that such mechanisms (DNS based,
    remote site publishes the data) are even easier to bypass (I've seen
    statistics showing that the overwhelming mayority of SPF-"protected" email
    is spam).

    What does work rather well is greylisting (on first try tell them to come
    back later, spammers rarely retry their junk).

    Add blacklists (sadly, there are few reliable ones, AFAICS) and you cut it
    down even more.

    And yes, there is no silver bullet. This is an arms race, get a new
    anti-spam device (filter configuration, ...) and soon they will figure out
    how to bypass it.

    In any case, I've seen claims that around 80% of email now is spam. That
    it is still only a little in LKML says that the listmasters are doing an
    oustanding job.