    SubjectRe: [patch 00/21] high resolution timers / dynamic ticks - V2
    On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 14:25 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > (Sorry for the size of the note, there's some 50K of logs attached)
    >
    > On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:43:02 +0200, Thomas Gleixner said:
    > > Can you please send me the bootlog and further dmesg output (especially
    > > when related to timers / cpufreq).
    >
    > I booted the box to single-user both times, and then started cpuspeed.
    > I then did a cat of /proc/interrupts, /proc/uptime, and a date command,
    > waited 60 seconds according to my watch, and repeated. I then dumped
    > the dmesg. The -dyntick kernel moved 'uptime' almost exactly 45 seconds
    > (almost certainly a by-product of running at 1.2Ghz rather than 1.6Ghz).
    > Does the dyntick code make any unwritten assumptions about a jiffie or
    > bogomips remaining constant?
    >
    > Attached - config diff, date and /proc dumps from both -mm2 and -mm2-dyntick,
    > and the dmesg's from both boots.
    >
    > Yell if you have any other questions/suggestions/etc..

    Hmmm. So w/ -mm2 we're seeing the TSC get detected as running too slowly
    (and its replaced w/ the ACPI PM), but for some reason that doesn't
    happen w/ the dynticks patch.

    Now, how is cpuspeed changing the cpufreq? Is it using the /sys
    interface? I've got hooks in so when the cpufreq changes we should mark
    it unstable and fall back to ACPI PM, but maybe I missed whatever hook
    cpuspeed is using.

    thanks
    -john

      Last update: 2006-10-02 20:41    [W:0.022 / U:29.256 seconds]