    SubjectRe: BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0! in sys_close and ext3
    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:56:40 +0200
    "Dennis J.A. Bijwaard" <> wrote:

    > I got two soft lockups on one of the CPUs just now. I'm unsure if this
    > problem is in ext3, sys_close, or general kernel, so I've CC'd the
    > kernel list.
    > [1.] One line summary of the problem:
    > BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0! in sys_close/fput and ext3 journaling

    Both warnings occurred when the kernel was tearing down large amounts of
    pagecache via invalidate_inode_pages(). One instances was a blockdev
    (probably the final close on the dvd) and the other was a regular file
    (perhaps a large dvd image?)

    The CPU is slow: 500MHz pIII. How much memory does it have?

    So the kernel was doing a lot of work, on a slow CPU. Perhaps that simply
    exceeded the softlockup timeout. If that's true then the machine should
    have recovered. Once it did, and once it didn't. I don't know why it

      Last update: 2006-10-15 21:15    [W:0.019 / U:127.144 seconds]