SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] USB performance bug since kernel 2.6.13 (CRITICAL???)
Hi Alan,

Yes, user mode processes are susceptible to other delays,
but that's really not the problem here. My application is
*clearly* being hit by this difference in CONFIG_HZ.
All the evidence points to this fact.

People often bring this up user mode versus kernel
mode as a criticism when it doesn't really apply.
All I was saying is that we should get away
from the talk of kernel versus user mode and narrow
the problem to something more specific.

As for the issue regarding ehci_work and ehci_irq:
There are many many comments in the code that say
that urb linking happens asynchronously. It is hard for
me to fully appreciate how everything is put together
because I am not an expert with the host controller code
in the kernel. Is there some way we can get to the bottom of this?

Either the problem is in the ehci code or in devio.c. In
devio.c the user space process calls an ioctl to reap the
urb (blocking until it is complete). The asynchronous
callback for the urb is called when the urb is unlinked
and that callback (async_completed in devio.c) signals
the wait object that the ioctl has added to the wait queue.
But, I don't see anything inherently wrong with how things
are setup there.

In any case, something is wrong. I want to be as helpful
as possible to get to the bottom of this, but it might be tough
to do it without some insight from the gurus who wrote this code.
Even if the problem will be hard to fix, we should have a
clear understanding of what is causing it. As it stands it doesn't
seem like even the experts know exactly where this
delay is being caused.

Thanks.