SubjectRe: Dell Inspiron e1405 hangs on lid close in 64-bit mode
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> I have a Dell Inspiron e1405 laptop with a Core 2 Duo
>> processor.
>> Under every 64-bit kernel I have tried yet, it hangs
>> when I close the
>> lid (or, I would assume, do anything else that activates
>> System
>> Management Mode). It works fine under 32-bit mode;
>> closing the lid
>> turns the LCD off using DPMS.
>>
>> I understand that this might be entirely outside the
>> control of the
>> kernel developers, but I would of course love to be able
>> to use this
>> laptop in 64-bit mode. What information would be needed
>> to fix it,
>> and/or how would I go about debugging it? I've tried
>> turning the
>
> Modify 64bit kernel entry point to do something trivial (flashing
> character on vga text mode?) then see if lid close breaks it. If so,
> blame smm, and force vendor to fix it.

I have the same problem, kinda sorta. Closing the lid causes it to go to
sleep in the context that a vetrinarian uses. ("It was put to sleep.")

Wakeup just spins the drive. And spins. And spins. And spins.

The machine is also a 64bit. HP zv5200z AMD64 3700+.

According to a friend, 32bit suspend works in 32 bit but not 64bit.

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink