SubjectUSB performance bug since kernel 2.6.13 (CRITICAL???)
(Resending because linux-usb-devel@sourceforge.net bounced right back to me.  Sorry for the multiple messages!)

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Open Source <opensource3141@yahoo.com>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org; linux-usb-devel@sourceforge.net
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:21:56 PM
Subject: USB performance bug since kernel 2.6.13 (CRITICAL???)

Hi all,

I am writing regarding a performance issue that I recently observed after upgrading from kernel 2.6.12 to 2.6.17. I did some hunting around and have found that the issue first arises in 2.6.13.

I am using a device that submits URBs asynchronously using the libusb devio infrastructure. In version 2.6.12 I am able to submit and reap URBs for my particular application at a transaction rate of one per millisecond. A transaction consists of a single WRITE URB (< 512 bytes) followed by a single READ URB (1024 bytes). Once I upgrade to version 2.6.13, the transactional rate drops to one per 4 milliseconds!

The overall performance of a particular algorithm is increased from a total execution time of 75 seconds to over 160 seconds. The only difference between the two tests is the kernel. Microsoft Windows executes the algorithm in 70-75 seconds!

I am using a Fedora Core distribution with FC4 kernels for testing. Is there some new incantation that is required in my user-mode driver to get around a "feature" in recent kernels? Does anyone else know about this? I was not able to easily find discussion about this on the newsgroups. It appears that this problem has been around for a while, if it is indeed a problem.

I am not a subscriber to the linux-kernel mailing list but have cross-posted to it since this seems like a serious enough issue. Please continue to keep any responses on linux-usb-devel as well so I can see them in my email box.

Thank you,
Beleaguered Open Source Fan

  Last update: 2006-10-12 21:35    [W:0.199 / U:0.800 seconds]