    SubjectRE: RSS accounting (was: Re: 2.6.19-rc1-mm1)
    Date
    Arjan van de Ven wrote on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 6:55 AM
    > > Well I tried to defined it in terms of what you can use it for.
    > >
    > > I would define the resident set size as the total number of bytes
    > > of physical RAM that a process (or set of processes) is using,
    > > irrespective of the rest of the system.
    > >
    > > So I think the counting should be primarily about what is mapped into
    > > the page tables. But other things can be added as is appropriate or
    > > easy.
    > >
    > > The practical effect should be that an application that needs more
    > > pages than it's specified RSS to avoid thrashing should thrash but
    > > it shouldn't take the rest of the system with it.
    >

    > so by your definition, hugepages are part of RSS.
    >
    > Ken: what is your definition of RSS ?

    I'm more inclined to define RSS as "how much ram does my application
    cause to be used". To monitor process's working set size, We already
    have /proc/<pid>/smaps. Whether we can use working set size in an
    intelligent way in mm is an interesting question. Though, so far such
    accounting is not utilized at all.

    - Ken