    SubjectRe: Announce: gcc bogus warning repository
    Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 09:44:55 -0400 Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >
    >> The level of warnings in a kernel build has lately increased to the
    >> point where it is hiding bugs and otherwise making life difficult.
    >>
    >> In particular, recent gcc versions throw warnings when it thinks a
    >> variable "MAY be used uninitialized", which is not terribly helpful due
    >> to the fact that most of these warnings are bogus.
    >>
    >> For those that may find this valuable, I have started a git repo that
    >> silences these bogus warnings, after careful auditing of code paths to
    >> ensure that the warning truly is bogus.
    >>
    >> The results may be found in the "gccbug" branch of
    >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/misc-2.6.git
    >>
    >> This repository will NEVER EVER be pushed upstream. It exists solely
    >> for those who want to decrease their build noise, thereby exposing true
    >> bugs.
    >>
    >> The audit has already uncovered several minor bugs, lending credence to
    >> my theory that too many warnings hides bugs.
    >
    > I usually build with must_check etc. enabled then grep them
    > away if I want to look for other messages. I think that the situation
    > is not so disastrous.

    I think it's both sad, and telling, that the high level of build noise
    has trained kernel hackers to tune out warnings, and/or build tools of
    ever-increasing sophistication just to pick out the useful messages from
    all the noise.

    If you have to grep useful stuff out of the noise, you've already lost.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2006-10-01 19:23    [W:0.037 / U:33.380 seconds]