    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: PS/2 keyboard does not work with 2.6.15
    On 1/9/06, Alan Stern <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > > > It would be nice to know which part of the usb-handoff code causes the
    > > > problem.
    > >
    > > Well, it's not handoff code causing problems per se, it's just that it
    > > does not look like it performs handoff. If it did then disabling USB
    > > legacy emulation in BIOS would have no effect, right?
    > On the other hand, if the BIOS worked correctly then the ps/2 port would
    > have no problems regardless of whether USB legacy emulation was on or off.
    > Given that the keyboard works during bootup, I see only two possibilities:
    > The USB handoff code somehow causes the BIOS to mess up the
    > state of the 8042;
    > The 8042 driver interacts badly with the firmware when USB
    > legacy emulation is on, and the USB handoff code doesn't
    > successfully turn off legacy emulation.
    > My earlier suggestion was an attempt to test the first possibility. The
    > second is harder to test because it implies problems in both the 8042
    > driver and the USB handoff code.

    My experience is that USB legacy emulation in BIOS + ACPI works as
    long as you do not touch it and gets terribly confused if someone
    tries to actually use i8042 (like enable active multiplexing mode with
    4 AUX ports). As soon as BIOS takes its dirty hands off i8042
    everything works fine.

    The problem it seems that when usb-handoff code was moved from pci
    quirks and enabled inconditionally something happened so it stopped
    doing handoff.

      Last update: 2006-01-09 18:57    [W:0.024 / U:8.656 seconds]