    Subject64 bit kernel
    Hi everyone,

    I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the following is a 64 bit
    kernel problem or if it's a BIOS problem.

    I have a Gigabyte K8NSC-939 with an AMD64 3200+ (Venice) CPU version F7
    BIOS. When I first got this board, I put a single 512 Mb PC2700 DIMM in
    it from an older Celeron board I had. 32 bit Suse 10.0 and 32 bit FC4
    loaded fine. When I tried the 64 bit version of either, I kept getting
    DMA errors on boot like the HD or controller was bad. After some
    searching I found others with similar problems and they had to use
    "noapic nolapic" kernel boot options to install and boot the OS. That
    worked for me too and I was able to install the OS.

    After I upgraded the memory and put 2 512Mb PC3200 DIMMS in the board. I
    tried a 64 bit install again. This time I no longer had to use the
    "noapic nolapic" options. With a single DIMM, BIOS (during boot)
    reported "single channel" memory. With 2 DIMMS, BIOS (during boot)
    reports "dual channel" memory. My question though is does the 64 bit
    kernel require "dual channel" memory or is this a BIOS problem?

    Stan

      Last update: 2006-01-09 05:29    [W:3.762 / U:1.388 seconds]