    SubjectRE: git pull on Linux/ACPI release tree

    On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Brown, Len wrote:
    > Perhaps the tools should try to support what "a lot of people"
    > expect, rather than making "a lot of people" do extra work
    > because of the tools?
    > Call me old fashioned, but I believe that tools are supposed to
    > make work easier, not harder.

    They DO.

    Len, you're doing EXTRA WORK that is pointless.

    Just stop doing the automated merges. Problems solved. It really is that
    easy. Don't do what David suggests - he does it because he's apparently
    _so_ comfortable with things that he prefers to do extra work just to keep
    his trees extra clean (I actually would disagree - but git makes that
    fairly easy to do, so if you prefer to have as linear a history as
    possible, you can do it with git pretty easily).

    Now, I'm only complaining about _automated_ merges. If you have a reason
    to worry about my tree having clashes with your tree, do a real merge. For
    example, in your latest pull, you had a

    "pull linus into release branch"

    merge, where you merged my v2.6.15 tree. That makes perfect sense.

    What I object to is that there were _also_ two automated merges within ten
    hours or each other, with absolutely _zero_ development in your tree in
    between. Why did you do that in your development tree? By _definition_ you
    had done zero development. You just tracked the development in _my_ tree.

    In case you wonder, the two commits I'm talking about are:

    and neither of them have any reason to be in a development tree. You
    didn't develop them.

    They are real merges, because you had a trivial patch in your tree
    (changing the acpi-devel mailing list address) that I didn't have, so when
    you pulled, your end result was thus always different from something I had
    (so you did a real "merge", even though it was totally trivial), but the
    point is that there is a difference between "the ACPI development tree"
    and "the tree that has random ACPI patches and then tracks Linus' tree as
    closely as possible".

    That's the most egregious example. There's two unnecessary pulls on
    December 28 and 29th too (commits 0a5296dc and c1a959d8).

    You can do

    gitk 0aec63e..f9a204e1

    to see exactly what I see when I pulled from you. 11 commits, 5 of which
    are just trivial merges that are no development, just tracking _my_ tree.
    Of those, one makes sense (tracking a release).

    (NOTE NOTE NOTE! It does make sense to track my tree in case you do big
    changes and you worry about clashes. Then you would want to synchronize
    those big changes with my changes, so that you can resolve any clashes
    early. So I'm not saying that tracking trees is always bad: I'm saying
    that doing so _unnecessarily_ is bad, because it adds no value, and it
    just makes the history harder to read).

    Now, most people don't read the history. It gets messy enough quickly
    enough that it's hard to read anyway over time. My tree has tons of _real_
    merges anyway, since it's by definition the one that is used for most
    synchronization, so my tree is always pretty hard to follow.

    But my guess is that this probably makes it harder for _you_ to see what
    you've done too. If you didn't merge with me, then "git log" would show
    just your own changes at the top, and that's likely what you care most
    about anyway, no?

    Also, if you didn't pull from me, and you decided that you needed to re-do
    your tree (let's say that you notice that one of your commits was bad
    _before_ you ask me to pull from your tree), then you'd also have an
    easier time re-creating your own development without that buggy change,
    exactly because _your_ tree wouldn't have my changed mixed up in it.

    So your merges likely make git harder to use for you, not easier.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.025 / U:184.680 seconds]