    SubjectRe: git pull on Linux/ACPI release tree
    On 1/9/06, Brown, Len <> wrote:
    > Perhaps the tools should try to support what "a lot of people"
    > expect, rather than making "a lot of people" do extra work
    > because of the tools?

    I think it does. All the tricky stuff that David and Junio have been
    discussing is actually done very transparently by

    git-rebase <upstream>

    Now, git-rebase uses git-format-patch <options> | git-am <options> so
    it sometimes has problems merging. In that case, you can choose to
    either resolve the problem (see the doco for how to signal to git-am
    that you've resolved a conflict) or to cancel the rebase. If you
    choose to cancel the rebase, do

    cp .git/refs/heads/{<headname>,<headnamebadrebase>}
    cat .git/HEAD_ORIG > .git/refs/heads/<headname>
    git-reset --hard
    rm -fr .dotest

    and you'll be back to where you started. Perhaps this could be rolled
    into something like git-rebase --cancel to make it easier, but that's
    about it. The toolchain definitely supports it.

      Last update: 2006-01-08 20:22    [W:0.020 / U:5.788 seconds]