SubjectRe: [RFC] why all the patches get messed up here!!!
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:40:43PM -0800, Nauman Tahir wrote:
> hi all,
> May I ask why all kernel patches just get in here in the list?
> I mean to say that isn't it better to have another list only for this
> purpose and let this mailing list be a discussion forum. I login here
> to see different issues. its a wonderful resource.
> I understand that alot of code is discussed here but in case of PATCH
> I think it would be better to have a separate archive.
> No offence just wanted to ask

Hmmm it would be terrible. Just thinking about what a conversation
would look like :

"Hi guys, I found a bug in xxx subsystem, basically it did blablabla
to my box when I tried to blablabla. I fixed it the dirty way, please
consult the patch list and look for subject XXX.
=> reply :
Hi foo,
there was an cleaner fix, yours is buggy because blablabla. please
use my reply to your mail on the patch list instead.
"

Most people here *comment* patches :
- methods
- bugs
- typos
- coding style

There's no way to do this on two separate lists. It's already very
annoying when someone posts an HTTP link to some content outside !

> Regards
> Nauman

Willy

  Last update: 2006-01-06 18:27    [W:0.107 / U:0.040 seconds]