SubjectRe: oops pauser. / boot_delayer
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 05:28:59PM -0800, David Lang wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >
> > >Also note that the kernel generates a lot of noise^W text - if now the
> > >start scripts from $YOUR_FAVORITE_DISTRO also fill up, I can barely reach
> > >the top of the kernel when it says
> > > Linux version 2.6.15 (jengelh@gwdg-wb04.gwdg.de) (gcc version 4.0.2
> > > 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Jan 3 09:21:27 CET 2006
> >
> > enable a few different types of encryption and you have to enlarge the
> > buffer (by quite a bit). the fact that all the encryption tests print
> > several lines each out and can't be turned off (short of a quiet boot
> > where you loose everything) is one of the more annoying things to me right
> > now.
> >
> > this large boot message issue also slows your boot significantly if you
> > have a fast box that has a serial console, it takes a long time to dump
> > all that info out the serial port.
>
> So disable CONFIG_CRYPTO_TEST. There's no reason to test this stuff every boot.

I've looked for such a config option and not found it in menuconfig. I'll
take another look.

Ok, I found it. the help isn't clear about exactly what this does. Adding
a blurb that you probably want it off unless you are developeing a crypto
module, or that it's intended as a debugging tool would help clarify it.

Thanks.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare

  Last update: 2006-01-06 08:03    [W:0.229 / U:0.064 seconds]