    SubjectRe: Inclusion of x86_64 memorize ioapic at bootup patch
    the patch is good.

    I tried LinuxBIOS with kexec.

    without this patch: I need to disable acpi in kernel. otherwise the
    kernel with acpi support can boot the second kernel, but the second
    kernel will hang after

    time.c: Using 14.318180 MHz HPET timer.
    time.c: Detected 2197.663 MHz processor.
    Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
    Dentry cache hash table entries: 131072 (order: 8, 1048576 bytes)
    Inode-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
    Memory: 1009152k/1048576k available (2967k kernel code, 39036k reserved, 1186k )

    YH

    On 1/2/06, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@in.ibm.com> wrote:
    > Hi Andi,
    >
    > Can you please include the following patch. This patch has already been pushed
    > by Andrew.
    >
    > http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.15-rc5/2.6.15-rc5-mm3/broken-out/x86_64-io_apicc-memorize-at-bootup-where-the-i8259-is.patch
    >
    > This patch is regarding remembering at boot up time where i8259 is connected
    > and restore the APIC settings back during kexec boot or kdump boot. This
    > enables getting timer interrupts in new kernel in legacy mode.
    >
    > This patch is needed to make kexec and kdump work on some systems,
    > especially opteron boxes. Otherwise the second kernel does not receive
    > timer interrupts during early boot hence hangs.
    >
    > I understand, that you are inclined towards remembering all the APIC states
    > and simply restore it back instead of putting hooks. This will work
    > well for kexec but not for kdump because in kdump system can crash on
    > non-boot cpu.
    >
    > Restoring BIOS APIC state can make sure that BIOS designated boot cpu will
    > always be able to see timer interrupts in legacy mode but same does not
    > hold good if new kernel boots on some other cpu as is the case with kdump.
    >
    > In case of kexec boot, we relocate to boot cpu but in case of kdump we
    > don't because it was suggested that in some extreme cases of crash, boot cpu
    > might not respond even to NMI and relocation to boot cpu will not be
    > possible.
    >
    > Can you please re-consider this patch for inclusion.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Vivek
    > -

      Last update: 2006-01-06 01:33    [W:0.052 / U:92.040 seconds]