    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    Lee Revell wrote:
    > Edgar Toernig wrote:
    > > Lee Revell wrote:
    > > >
    > > > If it does not Just Work it's a bug and we need to hear about it.
    > >
    > > So then: xawtv4 (dvb-app) works with hw:0 but not with 1.0.9's dmix default.
    > > It works with /dev/dsp1 (usb-speakers) but not with /dev/dsp0 (atiixp ac'97).
    > > vdr's softdevice (another dvb-app) works with dmix-default but not with hw:0.
    > Come on, this is LKML, you should know that "it doesn't work" is not a
    > useful bug report.

    xawtv4 with dmix is just silent and aborts when its queue of outstanding pcm
    data is filled up.

    Trying to use /dev/dsp0 starts fine for a fraction of a second but then
    either stays silent or stutters until its audio-queue overflows again.

    With vdr its similar: when using hw:0 it only stutters (and fills the log
    with xrun errors). I had a short look once - it uses a very small buffer
    (iirc about 4kb) and gets constant underruns which it tries to handle
    via prepare-something but it's unable to recover. With dmix it works fine,
    probably because of the bigger mixing buffer.

    > Sure, maybe badly written apps but there must be something wrong if so
    > many developers have problems with Alsa. I've even resigned to grok
    > the config files :-(

    Ciao, ET.

      Last update: 2006-01-05 21:27    [W:0.041 / U:44.140 seconds]